Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

End of Movember

Today is the end of November, and for most guys participating in the Movember movement (raising money and awareness for Prostate Cancer) it is also the night the Mustaches disappear.

Movember Canada rasied over 32 million dollars (the U.S. raised less than half of that, fyi) and my site rasied $380.  Not too bad, but I really wanted to raise $500.

That's why I'm keeping the mustache. That's right.  I'm not shaving it off (even though I have a public performance this Saturday!)  So, come on and donate!  You'll find the link to my site on the top right of this blog.  You can also find it here: http://mobro.co/PatrickJHansen

It's been fun. I've gotten lots of private head nods (Mo nods) from other guys on the metro who are sporting the mustache.  I've received quizzical looks from colleagues and students.  My boys tell me they "don't see it" and look past it.  I have over the years made so many changes to my look, that frankly I've gotten used to it - although I do not like the pressure of shaving around it!

One wonders why this has become so popular so quickly.  Is it part of the time that we are in?  Is the social media responsible for this?  Why is growing a mustache more popular in Canada than in the U.S.? I'd never really heard of Movember until last year when a friend of mine on Facebook posted his pics and wrote about raising funds, awareness, etc.  I thought "what a great way to raise money!"

And so November became Movember this year and the month flew by.  This week has been prep for the Broadway program THIS SATURDAY, December 3rd, 2011 in Redpath Hall.  Tap Dancing. Demon Barbers. Singing Birds. Four Letter Words sung in public. Belting. Pulitzer Prize scores. Opera singers showing that they can sing Musical Theatre repertoire and dance as well!

Don Giovanni finishes its month of coachings. We start staging January 2nd, 2012.  So much happening, and that's just our little Opera McGill world here at the Schulich School of Music.

Don't miss it.  I've got to go practice...

No comments:

Post a Comment