Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Thursday I get on a plane and fly to Charlottesville, VA to start rehearsals for Camelot, which I'm directing at the Paramount Theatre for Ash Lawn Festival.  It's their VERY first production inside a theatre (and not outside in the backyard of James Monroe's estate), so the pressure to have a fantastic production is intense - sets, costumes, props, sound, everything...

The first day on the job I'm expected to show up at a Guild cocktail party - directly from the airport. Then the first week of rehearsals will focus on staging any and all scenes withOUT Arthur (who is coming in a week later).  Staging a show out of order has its challenges - most of all continuity of exits/entrances - but also it presents a focus challenge for both the director and the cast.  We'll see how it goes.

Looking ahead, it'll be an interesting few weeks. Rehearsals running from 9:30am to 4pm at a local high school, and then moving to a different rehearsal venue for evening rehearsals 6:30 to 9:30pm.  I'm hoping to get in a ton of work preparing for design meetings for another show I'm directing in January of 2010 during the two and a half hour break, but usually that means I'll go out for dinner and chat away and not get anything done.

Charlottesville, for those who don't know the town, is a TERRIFIC city.  The mecca for DMB, it was voted "Best City in USA To Live" about 5 years ago.  It has an amazing downtown pedestrian zone (the Paramount Theatre is right on the mall there), with tons of great restaurants and coffee shops.  I like the city alot.  It's about a 1 and 1/2 hour drive to DC and sits below Monticello.  If you get a chance to visit, you should.

I'm hoping the cast is prepared on their dialogue - I've cut pages and pages, but it's still WAY too long I think.  I'm hoping to tweak scenes in the evening rehearsals once I hear how everyone does.  That's most of my worry - that and figuring how to make the "Jousts" number interesting.

Must pack for my three weeks in Charlottesville AND then my five weeks at Brevard.  More on Brevard later!
Patrick

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time Patrick! I'll be missing Charlottesville this year, unfortunately. You should try and get over to Staunton while you are there if you get a day off - another speacial place - and see the Shakespeare Theater. Saturday night is the last performace there of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

    Are they bringing the skunks and peacocks to the new theater? You know, as a transitional thing? :-) Have fun.

    Rob Oliver

    ReplyDelete